Maintaing a Skin Care Routine

I would have thought that by the time I went through my teenage years, that I would no longer have to deal with acne. But, as I approach my mid-thirties, it's a fight I still struggle with. To make matters worse, with the aging skin and the climate in San Francisco, my skin can get dry if I use the wrong prodcuts.

It took me a while to figure out a good routine. If I cleansed my skin with the same soap I used in the morning, my nose would peel and my acne wouldn't be any better. This was discouraging. I tried many different products, but the result was always the same. Then I got to thinking, what would my grandmother have used? I had always seen Ponds Cold Cream, but never got around to trying it. Then one day, I saw a vintage blogger's post raving about Boots Cold Cream and toner. I thought I'd give it a try.



The line I chose has rose oil in it. I love the smell. It feels a bit greasy, as most cold creams do. So, at first I was a little aprehensive that it would make me break out more. But, after a week of using the product every night, followed by the toner, I saw a big difference in my skin. My nose stopped peeling. My acne started to clear up. I've been using this product for a couple years now. I notice a difference when I go a day or two without using it. I have tried another cold cream, but with my sensitive eyes, it actually makes them sting.

Since I have to order this product online, I haven't replenished my stock (I bought several jars at once). Sadly, the toner has been gone for a long time. But, in it's place I have been using witchhazel (not as pleasing of a smell), that works just as well, if not better. As an added bonus, witchhazel also is great for other skin irritations, such as razor burn.

With my sensitive eyes, I am limited to the brands I can use. I have found only certain products do not bother me. If I use the wrong product, I end up running up and down the hall screaming with my eyes clamped shut. Not a pretty sight.

With that being said, my skin care routine consists of:
2. Boots Cold Cream Rose
4. Oil of Olay Moisturizer (Now that I use cold cream, the type of moisturizer I use doesn't really matter. I choose this one because of the smell, and it's what I remember my grandmother using.)

And in the morning, I use Cetaphil Gentle Bar Soap.

The one thing lacking in my routine, though, is a good eye cream. I have yet to find one that works well with my sensitive eyes, and where I see a difference in the appearance of my eyes.

What are some of your favorite skin care products?

4 comments:

  1. How funny! I have just been thinking about buying cold cream! I usually go for ecological products and the ones from Estelle & Thild (a swedish brand, but I think they sell online) are wonderful. I'm just in the mood for a change! But maybe they would have an eye cream that works for you?

    XO,

    Simona

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain about the acne. I've had acne for as long as I can remember. I think I may try the cold cream you use. I use Ponds right now but am always looking for other products.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use Ponds as my makeup remover. I think my face does well with cold cream, but I don't like the strong fragrance and I don't like what it does to my under eye area. Once my jar runs out, I'm planning on trying a mineral oil free version from Etsy or maybe making my own oil based concoction. I also use Dickson's witch hazel and I love the smell. I'm thinking of switching to Thayer's since they have alcohol free versions with extra skin goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I discovered cold cream a few years ago and never looked back! I now make my own (I have the recipe on my blog) with green tea (instead of water) and rice bran oil (which is what the gorgeous Japanese women have been using on their skin forever!) and it is just divine.

    I also use witch hazel and for moisturising I use organic rosehip oil. I also get organic powdered clay to make my own mask (I mix it with water and either witch hazel if my skin is oily/pimply or rosehip oil if it's dry). Then I blend up some organic adsuki beans and mix it with the same amount of rice bran and use that as a scrub.

    My other secret is these amazing microfibre face cloths I found at my local supermarket. They seem to get everything out of my pores and off my face.

    My skin has never been better!

    ReplyDelete