My favorite made-for-me dress.

I can't sew. I've taken a couple classes. I had someone walk me through making a dress when I was a teenager. But, it is just not something I can do. I envy those who can. Though, if I could, I probably wouldn't have as many new things made as I do now. I am just that lazy. How do I have new things made? A seamstress. And, my seamstress is fabulous! I don't know how I would survive without her. I can barely buy stuff off the rack anymore.

I only give her original and reprinted vintage patterns. Yes, I am that picky. I don't always get vintage fabric, though I do try. She seriously has enough patterns for the next two years. That's because I hoarded them for a while. I try really hard not to buy any more. I'm doing pretty good, save the one or two specific patterns I've bought over the last few months. But, nothing beats having something made (or making it yourself) for you that fits perfectly.

Well, the point of this post was to show off my favorite made for me dress. It was made from Butterick Retro pattern 4513, from 1957.  The fabric I chose is a floral cotton.  When I saw the little yellow flowers on the fabric, I instantly fell in love with it. I'm not typically a super flowery person, but this fabric made me smile. It also looks perfect with this pattern. She tweaked it a little by adding a cumberbun style belt. The skirt is full, though I didn't wear a crinoline underneath - it was much too hot. I typically wear a cardigan with this dress, because it doesn't get warm very often here. This day, however, not only was it very warm, but I was taking a little trip to a hotter climate.





Friends and I headed out for a little day trip for a bbq competition that another friend was participating in. What could be better than bbq and beer? We took the train for a short distance, but were very excited to do so. Once we got there, though, the weather was brutal. Even though I grew up in hot weather, I acclimated very quickly to the cooler weather. Sad to say anything above 85 and I start to complain. Despite the heat, we had a good time. We rode the train back, and enjoyed the reprieve from the heat when we got home.



2 comments:

  1. Wow, you look beautiful! The print is very fun, perfect for summer. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have a dress like this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete