Don't Follow My Example - Setting Pattern Instructions

As mentioned previously, I bought a fabulous magazines with pages and pages of setting instructions. Many looked pretty easy. Since this would mark the third time I'd be trying pin curls on my own head, and don't really have the knack of them yet, I thought these patterns would be a good way for me to get some practice. The first pattern I picked out was one with fringe, since that would obviously work with what I have. It looked about the right length with my newly cut hair as well. I laid out the magazine, bobby pins, rat tail comb, and my end papers (which I need to keep my ends in place), and stared in the mirror trying to figure out where to start.

Typically, I rush through setting my hair, since I can practically put curlers in while half asleep. But, with lack of experience, and wanting to really do a good job, I took my time setting my hair. The setting calls for forward pin curls in a single layer along the ear, and a double layer in the back. I did my best to follow the picture, but knew I wasn't placing them quite right. It wasn't until I brushed out my hair that I realized how off I was. The right side of my head had curls starting above my ear, while the left side of my head had curls starting mid ear. But, I did my best to brush my hair out like the girl in the picture.

dolled up desirae, pin curls, 1950s, 50s


When I set my hair a couple weeks ago with pin curls, my hair became very frizzy. I thought this was because my ends were so damaged, though this doesn't happen when I use rollers. So, I went off right away to cut as much of the damaged ends as I could (about two inches). Yet, my hair still came out frizzy with this setting. I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. But, I am hoping that practice will make perfect in this situation (unlike my cat eye liner).




The frustration didn't stop with my hair. I planned on wearing this dress with a sun hat that I have not yet worn. The day before was quite warm and very sunny.  I thought that it was perfect weather for a nice straw hat. But, this day was overcast and rainy! I tried to make it better by posing in front of a sunny mural. Unfortunately, I didn't get to take a picture with my pretty green hat.




8 comments:

  1. Hmm, I usually try to make sure that my hair is absolutely tapered if I pin curl my hair when its wet. Also it could depend on what you use to secure them. Normal bobby pins are a bit wavy and will crimp your hair, the best is to use double or single prong alligator clips. Also, instead of paper I sometimes use a little bit of pomade to make sure that the hair strand that I'm curling is completely slick, like a band of ribbon.

    Hope this helps even though I did not think that your pin curls turned out so bad! Love your green dress!

    XO,

    Simona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips. I generally sleep in my curling instruments. Do you sleep in the pin curl clips? I will try pomade and see if that makes a difference. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by tapered?

      Delete
  2. I think it looks great! Took me way more tries to get pin curls down pat. One thing you might want to watch on youtube is Lisa Freemonts Street video on brushing out pin curls. They always start out frizzy, it's all in the brushing out. I also have some photos of my brush out - including showing how frizzy my hair is when I first start brushing.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I brushed and brushed. There was just no getting this frizz out! :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Doll,

    I'm not sure whether or not you used a specific setting lotion or just pin curled with water damped hair but a good lotion will cancel out that frizz. Also sometimes these styles just do not come out because of the exact way the hair has to be cut, which is my problem having Veronica Lake length hair and trying to do shorter styles.

    I think your hair in these pics are adorable but just comparing you and the pic of the model, I think maybe bobby pinning your hair back to set behind your ears may have gotten you slightly closer to the desired look.

    Also hair texture plays an important part in how the hair lays so don't be hard on yourself lol I know its frustrating. Sometimes you just have to slightly alter the roll pattern instructions to suit what your hair will and won't do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did use a setting solution. My hair won't keep a curl if I don't. I'm determined to keep trying. I hear a lot of people say that it took them a long time to get the hang of it. I'm ok if my hair doesn't turn out like the model, but I'd like to not have the frizz! :)

      Delete
  4. You look great! I love your outfit too! Spot on:) Your hair looks just like the picture:) Did you notice when you used setting solution that your hair had kind of a "wet" appearance or where you able to brush it all out and maintain a great curl? Lovely to see images from the book too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There are some setting solutions that make my hair look a little wet, or greasy. But, this one didn't. I am more of a fan of the liquid setting solutions than the foam, but I have all kinds that I used depending I what I feel. :)

      Delete