1. A few well-fitting washable slips.
2. One or two half-slips - some nylon, some cotton (cotton to starch for wear under summer skirts).
3. Three or four bras.
4. Panties - preferably shirred to give good curve control.
6. Two or three pairs of nylon stockings - one pair of mesh for school, since those are least prone to runs.
7. White wool socks - these for school and sports.
8. Several pairs of colored socks to match your sweaters and skirts.
9. Assorted sweaters - some with long sleeves; classic standbys in classic colors: beige, gray, navy, green; and some with short sleeves; these fit well under suit jackets and can take the place of a blouse. They can be dressed up with scarves and jewelry. Pastel colors look pretty in short sleeve pull-ons.
10. One good basic suit, neutral in color and simple in line, to wear with everything. The kind that takes a long time to go out of style.
11. Skirts - in dark colors and in bright plaids. Wool usually wears the best. Have various styles, some pleated, some plain.
12. A raincoat - for really sloshy days and to use for hiking and biking trips when you need a covering that can take it.
13. A good basic coat - perhaps a classic camel hair, but something that will give you service and be in style at the same time. Here look for a box cut or flare cut so that i can slip easily over jackets and sweaters without bunchiness at the armhole or waist.
14. A dressy coat - here you can take to fitted lines, for you will wear this coat with party dresses and well-cut fitted suits. Keep to basic color, though, unless you want to tire of it and discard it before its time.
15. A party dress.
16. A formal.
17. Low-heeled shoes for school (not "on-stage" ballet slippers, please).
18. Dress-up shoes with Cuban heel - in calf or suede.
19. Evening slippers.
20. Warm gloves for school - mittens or crochet string ones.
21. Dress-up gloves - a pair of white cottons, kept clean, will fill almost every bill.
22. A hat - for church and formal afternoon parties.